In 1954, Bill and Karin Atherton moved from Evergreen Park, IL to West Olive, MI where they owned and operated the Spreading Oaks Resort.
In 1960, The Atherton’s built the original Sandy Point Drive-In Restaurant on the corner of Tyler Street and Lakeshore Drive. This local hot spot served home cooked food and was a staple in Port Sheldon until the Fall of 1975 when a grease fire started. The employees exhausted all of the fire extinguishers but the fire progressed to the attic area and the building was a total loss.
In 1976, the Atherton’s built Sandy Point Restaurant on property that was once part of Spreading Oaks Resort. This is where the restaurant stands today. This fine dining establishment flourished and expanded through the years to include a 450 seat banquet facility that the residents referred to as “The Blue Room” due to its blue velvet walls and crystal chandeliers. The Blue Room hosted many events and featured entertainers such as Frank Sinatra, JR., Tommy Dorsey, The Glenn Miller Orchestra, Buddy Rich, The Kingston Trio, as well as local favorites like ‘Stormin’.
In 1984, The Atherton’s sold the restaurant to Don and Judy Kuiper’s who owned it until 2005 when they sold it to Chad Daleke. Mr. Daleke operated it as Pigeon Lake Lodge until 2007 when the restaurant closed. The building sat empty for many years in which the structure suffered from a lack of maintenance. The Blue Room took the brunt of this and eventually was razed. The original structure still stands today. The building was remodeled and reopened as Sandy Point Beach House on January 1, 2013